Admin

Our School

OVERVIEW

Opening Date: 1990
First Principal: John S. Kalocay
Interesting Facts: Glenwood was the largest elementary school in the state of Virginia with 1,600 students until New Castle Elementary was built in 1999.
Glenwood Elementary opened in 1990 with John Kalocay as the first principal. The school colors (blue and orange) and mascot (the gator) are from the University of Florida. For the 1993-1994 school year, Glenwood had 10 adopt-a-school partners and surpassed their motto, “Together Everyone Achieves More.”

In 2006, the school began the Young Writers’ Celebration, where every student in the school (950-1000 students) published a hard bound book called a Bare Book which was displayed in the gym for the community, school staff and students to view and read.

Glenwood has taken part in recycling efforts for the Lynnhaven NOW project for the 2009-2010 school year. A time capsule is buried in the courtyard holding items that were of importance and trendy during the year the school opened.

In 2015, Dr. DiMaggio was appointed Principal when Mrs. Stuhlman retired after 13 years.